WELCOME TO EXERCISE SUCKS

To read this blog you must agree that exercise sucks but that being unhealthy sucks worse! No exercise freaks allowed.

Thursday, September 30, 2010

EYES UP

Wow, the weather was great in Minnesota today.  As I was hunched over at my desk today I thought about how important posture is to overall health and fitness.  I think my postural problems are often a result of my long held belief that I am carrying the weight of the world.  I know it is irrational, I'm making progress. :)
Posture. One good step on the path to fitness is good posture.  Trying to have a good posture can seem like a nearly impossible fight for some.  Over time if you have a bad posture your body will actually change and make it harder to get back upright. Your chest muscles will shorten and your back muscles will lengthen and your spine will actually make new bones to prevent you from getting back to a good posture.

There are massive benefits to a good posture:
It is active vs passive so you burn calories
Your lungs and other organs can function at their full capacity
Less risk of injury
More likely to effectively use your abdominal muscles
More efficient with all movement
You will look younger
and more...


One key to having a good posture is keep your eyes up.  Always remember that your eyes dictate your posture. If you are looking down at the ground your back will end up rounded. If you are looking ahead of yourself you will be more likely to be sporting a good posture.

Sometimes if you have a good posture (women- tits up) you might feel like you are a 'strutting peacock'.  The good news is that your fitness is way more important than what others might or might not think about you.

Pilates is one of the best activities to improve posture. If you have questions about posture let me know.

Keep Moving

No comments:

Post a Comment